We all have the capacity to think creatively. It is, after all, the predominant way we think when we are children. The reason we lose the flexibility to creatively think as we grow up is because of the blocks and programming we are faced with along the way. In this article I’ll share 7 ways you can unleash your creativity and think freely like a child again.
Every single one of us has the power to be creative whether you believe it or not. It’s part of our natural make up as human beings. The trouble is that, too often, we get in the way of our own natural creativity. We make senseless errors in thinking and give ourselves more problems than we should. Here are 7 ways to naturally reactivate your natural creativity and keep these channels free-flowing.
1. Do your due-diligence. Assumptions are a form of lazy thinking. To keep your mind and creativity sharp – wait until you have all the essential information.
2. Try to See Things From A Different Perspective. Among the most active and imaginative minds are the ones that are trained to see things in different ways. Whether playing devil’s advocate to see how far you can carry a conversation or to be compassionate, try to be open to different ways of thinking. Be adaptable sometimes and realize that things are not always the way they seem and you never know what experiences a person may (or may not) have had to bring them to that perspective.
3. Avoid See-Saw Thinking. Has anyone ever asked you want to eat or do and you said whatever you want to do? And you kept going back and forth. Or you decided you wanted to do something and then began second guessing yourself. Indecisiveness can lead to arguments that could have been avoided and extreme mood swings. It’s far more healthy and less stressful to take a decision and not let emotions get the better of you.
4. What Will Be, Will Be. Or Maybe Not. A past experience can be a major stumbling block to clear and creative thinking because by default we often act out of habit. We do this even if we know that doing certain things are not healthy or good for us. Don’t believe that, just because things happened in a certain way before, that it will will happen like that again. Every situation is unique and you need to always keep your mind open to the possibilities.
5. Think Like A Child. Research has shown that the number of connections, in the brain of a two year old child is greater than in an average adult. This is because a young child has no limiting world views, like adults. If we start to think more freely and accept without judgement, we can re-activate our creativity and stimulate our curiosity.
6. Think Independently. Taking time out for oneself is still looked upon negatively. People who work in extremely structured and creativity-restricted organizations are likely to be programmed or believe that everyone is supposed to think that way. No matter your environment, you can’t let others dictate how you think.
Once you make these techniques part of your daily thinking patterns, you will surprise yourself with how easy will be to start thinking differently about things and come up with resourceful solutions to any problems life throws at you.